Besides fees and procedure, one of the issue that trademark applicants wish to know is Required documents for trademark registration in Vietnam. This is something applicants should study in advance to avoid office actions, thus save time and money. This topic is discussed further below in this article.
Main required documents
- 05 identical mark specimens: Each dimension of each element shall range from 8 mm to 80 mm, and the entire mark shall be within a model of 80 mm x 80 mm. For a mark involving colors, the mark specimen must be presented with the colors sought to be protected.
- List of goods/service.
- The information of Applicant:
- Name of the applicant.
- Address of the applicant.
- The Power of Attorney. (download)
- Application for trademark registration according to form No. 04-NH Appendix A of Circular No. 01/2007/TT-BKHCN, keeping in mind some requirements with respect to trademark description:
- The sample of the mark must clarify elements and the comprehensive meaning of the mark, if any;
- Words or phrases of hieroglyphic languages (if any) must be transcribed
- Words or phrases in foreign languages must be translated into Vietnamese
- Numerals other than Arabic and Roman numerals must be transliterated into Arabic
- List of goods and services is described in accordance with the latest version of Nice Agreement.
Other documents (if any)
- Documents certifying the permission to use special signs (if the trademark contains emblems, flags, armorial bearings, abbreviated names or full names of Vietnamese state agencies/ organizations or international organizations, etc.);
- Paper on assignment of the right to file an application (if any);
- Documents certifying the lawful right of registration (in case the applicant enjoys the right to file from another person);
- Documents evidencing the right of priority (if the patent application has a claim for priority right).
General requirements for industrial property (IP) registration applications
- Each application can request grant of one protection title which is of a type suitable to the trademark stated in the application;
- All documents of the application must be in Vietnamese. For documents that are allowed to made in another language according to the provisions of Points 7.3 and 7.4 of Circular No. 01/2007/TT-BKHCN must be translated into Vietnamese;
- All documents of the application must be presented in the portrait format (particularly, drawings, figures, charts and tables may be presented landscape) on A4 paper sheets (210 mm x 297 mm), of which the top, bottom, left and right margins are all 20 mm, in Times New Roman font, text is not smaller than size 13, except for accompanied documents originally not intended to be included in the application;
- For documents that must be made according to pre-designed forms, those forms shall be used with all necessary information filled in appropriate sections;
- A document consisting of many pages must have page numbers in Arabic;
- All documents must be typewritten or printed with a non-fading ink, clear and clean, and free from erasures and modifications; if detecting any negligible spelling error in a document submitted to the Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam (IPVN), the applicant may correct such error but shall append his/her signature of certification (and a seal, if any) at the corrected words;
- Terms used in the application must be common ones (other than dialects, rare words, coined words). Symbols, units of measurement, electronic fonts and spelling rules used in the application must conform to Vietnam standards;
- The application may be accompanied with carriers of electronic data of part or the entire content of its documents.
For your reference:
Contact for trademark registration in Vietnam.
ANS Law was established in 2013 by Lawyer Thich – a lawyer of Hanoi Bar, and he also an industrial property representative person recorded by National Office of Intellectual Property of Vietnam (NOIP).